It takes an excellent staff to keep a summer camp and we take great pride in the men and women that are carefully selected each year to help care for our campers. We hire 3 general categories of staff each summer: Counselors/Activity Specialists, Support Staff and Administration.
Staff are hired as Activity Specialists, and as such, is responsible for their daily activity program, their cabin group and general counselor duties which includes:
- Living with and having charge of, or assisting in charge of, a group of campers in their cabin
- Being generally responsible for this group in routine camp life
- Assisting and cooperating with other counselors who are in charge of activity departments as occasion may demand
- Taking charge of, or assisting, so far as special ability permits, in the various camp activities and functions
- Adjusting one’s personal habits to the policy and customs of camp.
- Desire and ability to work with children and adults in a camp setting
- Ability and experience in desired position supervising and/or teaching one of the activity areas at camp
- One year of university/college or comparable experience
- At least 19 years of age
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self control
Typical Responsibilities and Duties:
- Uphold all policies and philosophies of Ebner Camps, Inc. and your specific camp
- Set up equipment fully during orientation week
- Keep equipment clean during the course of the summer
- Report any damaged or faulty equipment to the office
- Complete inventory and end of summer reports by specified dates
- Breakdown, pack up and clean all equipment and area at the end of the summer as per the closing instructions
These are not all the duties to be performed. Other duties may be assigned as required. Job descriptions will vary by position, be it counselor, administration or support staff. Please contact the office directly if you would like to see the job specific description prior to applying or accepting a job offer.
- Ability to communicate and work with groups and provide necessary instruction to campers and adults
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques (if part of your job)
- Visual and Auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to your specific position
The following support staff positions are recruited for each year:
- Chef & Kitchen aides
Our camp administration is generally made up of our full time directors, returning staff serving as program directors, our camp office staff, and our 2 nurses. Generally, we hire only for the Nurse position, as most are already filled each summer. If you are at least 21 years of age and have a Connecticut Nursing License and are interested in hearing more about the position, please apply today.
For All Staff Positions
Every staff member understands that use or possession of drugs is illegal and assures that he/she does not at this time, and will not at any time during the camp season, sell, possess, or use marijuana, narcotics, hard drugs or hallucinogenic drugs of any nature. There will also be NO CHEWING or SMOKING of tobacco anywhere on camp grounds. It is further understood that there is to be no consumption of alcoholic beverages on the campus and the staff member is not to enter the campus under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Any of these conditions will be grounds for dismissal.